Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cavemen: Not So Wimpey

I took some videos of my trip to Colton, Oregon last week, and have not one, but three clips to show you!

We’ve got some successes: a production run of refined pigment (my arms are still sore from this exercise!) & I found a new color source (burnt soil is much more red).

Also a couple of minor setbacks: The flax isn’t growing as well as I had hoped, and not only is it hard to remove soot from a stone, but grinding up charcoal doesn’t make for a good paint pigment (too coarse).

It’ll all make sense when you take a look at the photos and videos.

Woeful Flax




Attempt at Getting Soot


Burnt Soil Find



Refined Pigment Production Run




Here’s the dried silt from the refinement production run. Not bad for just using a rock, a stick and some water!



Here’s a Proof of concept shot of all three pigments: Soil, charcoal & burnt soil.